Liquor Liability

Liquor Liability

By Jack Cole

As a business owner do you serve alcohol at your business location or a special event?

Do you serve alcohol to employees, or clients? Even employees having a few beers in the shop after work could expose your business to a liquor liability lawsuit.

Liquor Liability things to know:

  • “Dram Shop” Laws Minn Statute § 340A. 801, makes a person or establishment who illegally sells alcohol liable for injuries and death arising from the illegal sale. Illegal sale can include overserving alcohol to people who are obviously intoxicated and serving to minors.
  •  Liquor Legal Liability provides coverage for bodily injury or property damage for which you may become legally liable for – as the result of contributing to a person’s intoxication. This coverage is provided by a separate policy and will only cover establishments ‘in the business of’ manufacturing, selling, distributing, or serving alcoholic beverages for a charge. This exposure is not covered under a general liability policy.
  • Host Liquor Liability Insurance Policies cover special events for businesses that elect to serve alcohol to their employees, prospects, and customers. This type of liability insurance is also needed by people and businesses serving or providing alcoholic beverages to customers, guests, or employees.

When should you consider Host Liquor?

If you’re planning to have alcohol served at your wedding, you will want to have host liquor,

A host Liquor policy will provide coverage in the event there is a claim arising from alcohol

Consumption, such as a fight, or overserving a guest that has an accident.

There are other events that you may want to consider Host liquor Liability this is just one example.

Please contact one of our insurance professionals with questions about Liquor liability concerns or other Insurance questions.